Thursday, April 13, 2006

I just discovered a funny show.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I watched The Colbert Report (pronounce reh-pore). That show is funny.

It comes on at 11:30 PM on weekdays here, immediately following The Daily Show. When you compare Stephen Colbert to Jon Stewart, you get, in my opinion, a far funnier person. Stewart is quite predictable nowadays--take a couple shots at Bush, interview someone (usually incorporating a shot at Bush), have someone else do a segment, and then hand it off to Colbert. You can throw in a 3rd shot at Bush for good measure.

According to Wikipedia, Colbert's show was pitched in the following manner: "Stephen Colbert parodies The O'Reilly Factor." This manifests itself most clearly in "The Word" which is clearly based on O'Reilly's "Talking Points." This is by far the funniest segment of the show, as Colbert makes ridiculous (and ridiculously funny) statements with even funnier statements shown at the side.

As it may be clear to you if you look at the bottom of the screen, I am conservative. Both Colbert and Stewart mock conservatives far more often than liberals, and both are Democrats. But I like Colbert; I don't like Stewart. Colbert's mockery comes mostly with his style. Stewart's comes with what he is actually saying. Thus it is far easier to swallow Colbert's humor. Plus I have no problem with someone mocking Bill O'Reilly.

If it came on a bit earlier, I might become a devoted follower of The Colbert Report. As it is, I'll catch it when I can.

No comments: